Saturday, December 05, 2009

Ah, the '70s!

For this evening’s “music night” at The Wild Reed I share a classic Australian pop hit from 1975. Yes, it’s “Denim and Lace” by Marty Rhone.

In the video below, Rhone is performing (okay, lip-synching - as was the practice back then) “Denim and Lace” on the popular weekly Australian music show,
Countdown (1974-1987). For most kids growing up in Australia at that time, Countdown was a show not to be missed. And as a little gay boy way back then, I was quite taken by the handsome Marty Rhone. But then who wouldn’t appreciate that beautiful smile, that hair, those clothes, and those goofy but endearing dance moves! Ah, the ’70s!




Hey, there you go
pretending you are fancy free.
But you don’t know,
one day you are gonna be with me,
Yes, with me . . .


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
A Lesson from Play School
One of These Boys . . .



Musical artists previously featured at The Wild Reed:
Don Henley, Propeller Heads and Shirley Bassey, Stephen Gately, Nat King Cole, Enrique Iglesias, Helen Reddy, Australian Crawl, PJ and Duncan, Cass Elliot, The Church, Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield, Wall of Voodoo, Stephen “Tin Tin” Duffy, Pink Floyd, Kate Ceberano, Judith Durham, Wendy Matthews, Buffy Sainte-Marie, 1927, Mavis Staples, Maxwell, Joan Baez, Dave Stewart & Friends, Tee Set, Darren Hayes, Suede, Wet, Wet, Wet, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Cruel Sea, Shirley Bassey, Loretta Lynn & Jack White, Maria Callas, Foo Fighters, Rosanne Cash, Jenny Morris, Scissor Sisters, Kate Bush, Rufus Wainwright, and Dusty Springfield.

3 comments:

Richard Demma said...

great voice, very unusual, and an interesting ethnic mix in the face. Eurasian?

Mareczku said...

I never heard of Marty Rhone or "Countdown" but I sent this to my two friends down under so hopefully this will be a nice trip down memory lane for them.

Terry Nelson said...

Okay. Imagine this. We are at a dinner table, sitting across from one another - you are telling this story about this singer - rock and lace? (Eye roll.) And I'm staring at you while you are relating this story - all rocked out you are - and I have my right hand over my forehead, and my thumb is extended straight out, while my index finger is pointed straight up, forming the letter "L" and I am mouthing, "You are soooooooooo queer!"

Now that is funny and it completes this post.

BTW - my mother has the same birthday as yours. Creepy.

Happy St. Nick's Day.