Sunday, August 14, 2011

Quote of the Day

. . . I think it’s just too soon to make anything more of Bert and Ernie’s relationship than it is . . . for now. I’m sure (I hope?) the time will come, in my lifetime, when same-sex marriage is a non-issue, where it just is. And while some may (plausibly) argue that a coming out on Sesame Street would pave the way for that understanding to happen faster, I think it’s too ugly an issue right now to make its way onto a street where time has been kind, and life’s lessons are still innocent and easy. There aren’t many places like that left out there, in case you haven’t noticed.

So no, I’m not signing the petition, or sharing the link, even out of good-natured fun. Call me Oscar. I’ve been called worse.

. . . Let Bert and Ernie have their peace. Let them simply go on sharing a funny little room with wallpaper and twin beds, where they drift off to sleep in pajamas and night caps, and never age a day. Give the world around them a chance to grow up.

To be crystal clear, I think “loss of innocence” is not about “discovery of shame,” and I am not equating same-sex marriage with anything shameful, wrong or naughty. But let the lessons be taught by real-world couples who live with dignity, out of love, and with the occasional marriage license. Let the lesson be taught because OUR neighbors live life honestly, in the open. This is our fight, this is our opportunity. Do we really want to hand the job over to, well, hand puppets?

– Patrick Hamilton
"Tales of the Street: Bert, Ernie, and Marriage Equality"
The New Gay
August 12, 2011


Related Off-site Link:
Bert and Ernie: Just Friends, Not Gay, Will Not Marry
– Deborah Netburn (Los Angeles Times, August 11, 2011).

No comments: