Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Quote of the Day

I am not anti-Israeli, I am not anti-Semitic. I supported the state of Israel. In the forty years I have known the state of Israel, and sometimes had a home there, I’ve seen it completely changed. It changed from a left-wing socially directed country to an extreme right-wing regime that is behaving in the most criminal fashion and . . . unscrupulously using the Holocaust to justify what [it is] doing. . . . I [stand for and] with human rights, whether they are Israeli, gay, women, black, whatever they are. I am not anti-Israel I am not anti-Semitic but I am pro human rights for every human.



See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
For Some Jews, Israel's Treatment of Palestinians is Yet Another Jewish Tragedy
Something to Think About – July 18, 2014
"We Will Come Together in Our Pain"

Related Off-site Links:
Why Israel is Its Own Worst Enemy – Gideon Levy (CNN, August 8, 2014).
Interview with Sociologist Eva Illouz: "The Real Danger to Israel Comes from Within" – Julia Amalia Heyer (Spiegel, August 5, 2014).
How Europe's Jews Lost Their Humanity in Gaza – Gilad Isaacs (972mag, August 1, 2014).
"Concentrate" and "Exterminate": Israel Parliament Deputy Speaker’s Gaza Genocide Plan – Ali Abunimah (Electronic Intifada, August 6, 2014).
Israel Has Broken My Heart: I’m a Rabbi in Mourning for a Judaism Being Murdered by Israel – Rabbi Michael Lerner (Salon, August 4, 2014).
Israel’s Supporters Try to Come to Terms with the Killing of Children in Gaza – Robert Mackey (New York Times, August 7, 2014).
Against the War: The Movement That Dare Not Speak Its Name in Israel – Giles Fraser (The Guardian, August 6, 2014).
The Death of Sympathy: How Israel’s Hawks Intimidated and Silenced the Last Remnants of the Anti-war Left – Gregg Carlstrom (Foreign Policy, August 5, 2014).
Gaza in Cease-fire: What Palestinians Think of Hamas Now and What That Means – William Saletan (Slate, August 6, 2014).
Political Will is the Obstacle to Israeli-Palestinian Peace – Mel Gurtov (Peace Voice, August 6, 2014).
American Jews and Israel: The Time to Speak Out on Gaza is Now – Ruth Margalit (Slate, August 11, 2014).


No comments: