Sunday, November 15, 2015

Happy Birthday, Petula!

It's the 83rd birthday today of Petula Clark, the English singer, actress and composer whose career has spanned seven decades. . . . And who's still going strong, as evidenced by her sublime 2013 album Lost in You, which I've previously highlighted at The Wild Reed.

In celebration of Petula's birthday, I share "Cut Copy Me," the opening track from Lost in You, courtesy of Mr. Jirayuth's Channel and YouTube. In his insightful review of Lost in You, Steven Rosen notes that "Cut Copy Me" is "startlingly effective . . . haunting and mysterious."

So without further ado, here it is! Enjoy . . . and Happy Birthday, Pet!




I breathe you in when you are near
I hide my coyness and fear
Don't let the light grow dim
It's just you and I in the moonlight air

Cut copy me I'm all yours
You're the shoreline I see when I'm off course
I want you to hold me forever, make it last
Forget the others from my past

I seek you in the depths of the night
Like a beacon of light you guide my fright
I promise to give you the sweetest sleep
And my shoulder is yours when you weep

Cut copy me I'm all yours
You're the shoreline I see when I'm off course
I want you to hold me forever, make it last
Forget the others from my past


You may recall that in May of 2014 my parents saw Petula Clark in concert in Port Macquarie, Australia. For my mum's review of this concert, click here.


For more of Petula Clark at The Wild Reed, see:
Pet Sounds
Well, Look Who's Coming to Port Macquarie . . .
Petula Clark: Still Colouring Our World


No comments: